If you're in the market for a vehicle to use or to re-sell, this is always a great place to buy.
TERMS, CONDITIONS AND THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE ATTENDING A VEHICLE AUCTION
1. The City and County of Denver auctions abandoned and confiscated vehicles every other Wednesday—rain, shine or blizzard—at the Car Pound, 5226 Brighton Blvd. (York St. & Brighton Blvd., north of I-70). The preview begins at 9 AM, and the auction starts promptly at 9:30 AM. There is an average of 150 - 250 vehicles offered for sale every other week, and City surplus vehicles are occasionally incorporated into these auctions.
2. All vehicles, including City surplus vehicles, are sold "As Is, Where Is" with no warranty or guarantee expressed or implied. City surplus vehicles are emission tested unless we announce otherwise. All abandoned/confiscated vehicles are sold as "tow aways" and without an emission test or 45-day permit. If you buy an abandoned/confiscated vehicle, you are responsible for having the vehicle emission tested. A document regarding emissions is attached to the paperwork of each abandoned/confiscated vehicle that you buy. Be advised that Denver Motor Vehicle will NOT issue temporary permits for vehicle sold as "tow aways."
3. The $100.00 cash deposit is a "good faith" (refundable) deposit assuring the City that you will pay for all of the vehicles that you purchased in the bid process. Though payment in full is due at the end of the sale, you may be ordered to pay for your purchase or purchases at any time in the course of the sale by either auction personnel or the City representative. All City owned vehicles must be paid for immediately after you are declared the winning bidder. If you fail to pay for the vehicle or vehicles you purchased in the bid process, that is a breach of contract and you will forfeit your $100.00 cash deposit.
Hold on to your bid number. If you do not buy a vehicle and you wish to leave, you must turn in your bid number to the auctioneer's clerks in order to collect your cash deposit. When you turn in your bid number, the clerks will request your ID, and it must be the same ID as the person who registered. If you forget your deposit, a check will have to be requested and may take up to 6 weeks to process. You will then be required to pick up said check in person and sign for same at the Webb Municipal Office Building, so please remember to retrieve your deposit.
4. This is a Cash Only sale. The City accepts cash or certified funds (a verifiable cashier’s check made payable to Schur Success Auction & Appraisal and pre-approved by the auction contractor at least 24 hours prior to the sale date) due immediately as each vehicle is sold. Personal checks will only be accepted with an irrevocable letter of credit from your bank guaranteeing funds, which has been pre-approved by Schur Success Auction & Appraisal (866-290-2243) at least 24 hours prior to the sale date. No credit cards will be accepted at this sale. You will not have time to retrieve funds the day of sale, so please be prepared to pay for your purchases immediately.
5. No persons under the age of 18 may be present in the auction yard before, during or after the auction by order of the City Attorney.
6. Please be aware that all vehicles are towed into the Car Pound and very few come equipped with keys. Keys found within any abandoned/confiscated vehicle are not guaranteed to fit the ignition and/or the trunk of the vehicle from which they were pulled. The auctioneer will announce at the time of sale if a set of keys has been found in a vehicle. The “K” circled on the windshield of a vehicle means that keys have been found. You will receive the key or keys when you pay for the vehicle. Locksmiths on the premises may not make keys for any vehicle until they've seen your Bill of Sale. The locksmiths will make keys for a fee. City vehicles will be equipped with keys unless announced otherwise.
7. If an ignition key is found within an abandoned/confiscated vehicle, an attempt to start the vehicle will be made. If the vehicle starts the auctioneer will announce this before the sale and will write “starts” on the windshield. This is for informational purposes only and is not a guarantee that the vehicle will start for the buyer or that the vehicle will move. Remember, all vehicles are sold "As Is, Where Is" with no warranty or guarantee expressed or implied.
8. Some vehicles are marked “Rebuilt From Salvage” on the Bills of Sale. The auctioneer will announce whether a vehicle has been designated as previous salvage prior to selling the vehicle. You will sign a document at the time of payment acknowledging that you are aware of this.
9. The City issues only a Bill of Sale and three supporting documents for the sale of abandoned/confiscated vehicles. Acquisition of title is between the buyer and the State of Colorado. Title is not guaranteed on any abandoned/confiscated vehicle sold. You must apply for title in your county of residence. Titles will be provided on all City owned vehicles unless announced otherwise.
10. Duplicates for lost paperwork for abandoned/confiscated vehicles are available at a cost of $10.00. Duplicate titles for City owned vehicles will be provided at a cost of $25.00. This process is lengthy and inconvenient for all concerned therefore please do not lose the documents provided to you.
11. The City reserves the right to ACCEPT or REJECT any or all bids.
12. Removal is by 3 PM from inside of the lot and 5 PM from off the street outside of the lot on the day of sale--NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Any vehicles left in the auction yard or unattended along adjacent streets will be towed and impounded, and all related charges will be assessed against the vehicle.
13. All items found within the vehicle are the property of the buyer. You must take all the contents of the vehicle you’ve purchased with you.
14. Vehicles purchased at this auction shall be pushed, pulled or towed from the auction yard over the gate unless the buyer has a dealer's plate attached to the vehicle. No overhauling or major mechanical work is to be done in the sale lot. You may remove vehicles prior to the end of the sale if you do not disrupt the auction process.
15. This auction takes place outdoors in all weather conditions on a gravel lot, which can be very muddy, snowy, slippery, rainy, hot, etc. Please dress appropriately for the weather condition.
16. Please remember that this is a vehicle auction and there are many tow trucks and vehicles moving around the lot. Please be extremely careful and aware of what is going on around you for everyone’s safety.
17. One portable toilet is provided for the auction attendees’ use. There are no facilities with running water at this auction.
Cashier's checks and certified funds MUST BE APPROVED by the auctioneer PRIOR TO BIDDING. Click here to learn about alternative payment terms.
Click here to link to the City website and a complete list of scheduled vehicles for the next upcoming sale.